امتیاز موضوع:
  • 1 رای - 5 میانگین
داستان کوتاه انگلیسی (Marshall in Rome)
Marshall in Rome

Written by May Brisken

Often when he stood next to his wife, Matthew reminded me of an unhappy dog. His eyes looked as if he wanted to please her, but he was afraid he would not. His wife was about 35 years old and very pretty. Her name was March. But Matthew called her Ariel. No one knew why he did this. I wanted to ask him. My husband Robert told me not to.

He said Majin Matthew talked too much already.

That summer, we were travelling through Italy with a group of other American tourists. Matthew and his wife were the only people our age in the group. Matthew was 42 years old, he had a weak heart. I did not understand why he
always carried March's heavy suitcases and all her packages. But Robert would not let me
ask him. Robert did not like March because she wanted to buy everything she saw and he did not like Matthew because he was rich enough to buy March whatever she wanted. The day we arrived in Rome, Robert made me promise not to talk to Matthew and March. It was our last day of the trip.

Robert said: "If Matthew and March took the room with us, it would ruin the day for him."

I said: "OK."

We left the hotel early in the morning before Matthew and March woke up. We were out all day visiting museums, monuments and churches. When we returned to our hotel that evening, we met Matthew and March. March was trying to open the door to their room, Matthew could not help. He was carrying about 8 bags of clothing that March just bought.

Robert just stood there with his hands in his pockets.

"Did you empty another store, March?"

Matthew laughed. March did not.

"What did you buy Bony today, Robert?" She asked. I took the key from her hand.

"Here." I said, "Let me help you."

Matthew looked over the top of the packages.

"Bony, where are you and Robert going for dinner?"

I turned the key in the lock.

"We, we heard about this wonderful little Sea senior restaurant." I said as I opened the door.

"Would you like to come with us?" I wanted to polish Robert for not helping Matthew with his
door.

Matthew smiled. "I have never eaten Sea senior food. Shall we go, Ariel?" But Robert wanted his freedom.

"March would not like this restaurant." He said, "It is not elegant."

Now I was angry. "But the food is very tasty." I said.

Matther looked at March, "Please, Honey."

March looked at Robert and then at Matthew.

"OK, OK, We will go with you, but I will need at least one hour to get dressed." She said.

Two hours later, she was finally ready to leave. By the time we reached the restaurant, we
all were very hungry. March pointed to something on her menu.

"What is this dish?" She asked our waiter.

The waiter just shook his head and smiled at her.

"He does not speak English, March." Robert said. March lifted her napkin "Ooo..." She said.

We followed her eyes and discovered a small hole in the table cloth. Some one had sewed the hole very nice hand "March," I said, "this table cloth is white. It is clean. It had even been ironed."

March was not listening to me. She continued to read the menu.

"What is caponata?" She asked.

I said: "It's eggplant, onions, tomatoes."

I hate eggplant."Said March.

Robert moved close to her, "Why not ask for a hamburger and coca-cola, March?"

Matthew touched her arm. "Ariel, honey, put down the menu."

"OK. Let Bony order for all of us." I did not speak Italy, but I took the menu and began pointing to it. The waiter smiled as he wrote down our order.

"You will see," I told March, "there will be plenty of food you will like."

And of course, there was. We ate pasta, caponata, ale and salad. We drank wine. We ordered dessert and coffee. March loved everything. After we paid the bill, she said: "You know, that was really good." As we walked toward the door, she took Robert's arm, then she turned to Matthew.

"Where is that store?" She asked.

"Ariel," He said gently, "No."

"Matther," She said gently.

"Yes."

Robert became very interested in this conversation. March wanted to buy something and for the first time during this trip, Matthew said no. March walked out of the restaurant, still holding Robert's arm.

"Let's go this way." She said and crossed the street.

"Robert, you must see this beautiful ring."

"I know, Bony, we will love it and it does not cost much."

Robert suddenly stopped walking. March stood in front of him. I was embarrassed and did not know what to do. So I put my head down and kept on walking. Matthew walked next me. I counl not look at him. Now I understood why he said No to March a few minutes earlier. He knew about her plan to get Robert into this store. He was trying to protect Robert from March. But now I was angry at him for not being able to stop her. I was also sorry for him
because he loved her very much. I began to feel unhappy as I walked olong with my head down. Suddenly I saw gold chain lie on the sidewalk in front of me. I stopped to get it, but Matthew was quicker.

"This is very valuable."

March and Robert walked to us.

"Look, what I found?" He said, holding up the gold chain.

"Let me see it." March demanded.

"It is unbelievably beautiful." She said as her hand closed over the chain.

"Wait a moment." Robert said, "Bony was with Matthew, maybe Bony saw it at first."

I shook my head.

"Robert, we both saw it. I do not know who saw it at first, but Matthew picked it up first."

"OK." March said, "We can find out how much it is worth? Then Matthew will give you half the money."

"No." Said Robert, "I want the chain for Bony. I will pay you half of what the chain is worth."

Suddenly, Matthew said: "Ariel, honey, you were not here and you did not see it. I did not find it, Bony did. She stopped to look or I did pick it up."

Even I do not know if Matthew was telling the truth.

Who knows who saw it at first?

But March quickly gave me the chain. "I am sorry." She said, a little embarrassed.

I was not thinking. A moment later, she turned to her husband.

"Marsh," She said, "I want you to buy me a chain just like that."

"Sure." Matthew said.

"Hey, Rober and Bony, would you two like to have another cup of coffee?"

We found a cafe and sat down. After we finished our coffee, March went over to the owner of the cafe.

"Do you speak English?" She asked loudly.

The owner nodded, "Yes."

"Well, will you sell me the cups we just used for our coffee?" She asked.

The owner looked a little surprised What she wash the cups and cover them with some newspaper?

March paid him and came back our table with a package of cups.

"I will keep them forever so I can remember our two good friends. " She said to Robert and me. Then she handed the package to Matthew.

"I will never forget this evening, will you?"

A minute later, March stood up to go to the Ladies' room.

"I will be right back." She promise.

Matthew turned to watch her as she walked through the cafe, then he turned to us, first, he looked at Robert and then at me.

"Look," He said quietly, "You two do not know her the way I do. You really do not."
و دیگر آسمان را نخواهی دید...
پاسخ
سپاس شده توسط:

موضوعات مشابه ...
موضوع نویسنده پاسخ بازدید آخرین ارسال
  اصول جامع و پایه ترجمه زبان انگلیسی hadis hpf 9 584 ۲۹-۰۲-۹۹، ۰۲:۳۰ ق.ظ
آخرین ارسال: hadis hpf
  جملات و اصطلاحات انگلیسی در مورد ورزش !!Tina!! 0 413 ۲۳-۰۱-۹۷، ۱۰:۲۳ ب.ظ
آخرین ارسال: !!Tina!!
  اشعار انگلیسی با ترجمه فارسی !!Tina!! 4 569 ۲۳-۰۱-۹۷، ۱۰:۱۴ ب.ظ
آخرین ارسال: !!Tina!!

پرش به انجمن: